Feeling not so Supersonic.



An event like the VH1 Supersonic was a dream that was still in slumber until a friend put up a message of extra passes. The event was happening in my city, yet I did not bother much about it. The tickets were a distant dream because they were expensive but more than that, I did not have anyone to go along with. More than such events, it was malls which excited this person I was dating. It so happened that a friend of mine had 2 tickets to give away and so I asked my partner if we could give it a try, to which he said yes. I wanted to go with someone who would have shown a little more excitement than a mere yes. Since we both were going to such an event together for the first time, in the four years we dated, I did not give it much of a thought. It was evident that we both were going together but we both wanted someone else as well to accompany us, and even he was calling up friends to ask if they wanted to join. Eventually, it was just us both.

I was wearing a dungaree dress that day. It was the only outfit I had for an event like this. That's the only dress I still have after an event like that. I wanted to feel pretty and cool, so I even straightened my hair, wore my sunglasses in spite of not being able to see clearly without my spectacles. A pair of block heels completed the outfit. 

We reached the venue and were overwhelmed by the glamorous crowd, the larger than life stages and the artist lineup. I knew many of the artists performing, and I was particularly excited about Prateek Kuhad and Marshmellow. He, on the other hand, knew Marshmellow and was aware of Prateek Kuhad because we were listening to his music a few days back. It feels nice when you know about things and you can share them but it gets a little disappointing when the person you are telling things to hears and does not listen. Nevertheless, since we were out to enjoy that day, it was okay to let go of a lot of things because after all, this was an experience we were enjoying together. Bands were performing, celebrities were showing up and there were lots of photographs taken that day. I was thrilled, he was tired but the most awaited performances were yet to come. 

Finally, Prateek Kuhad was on stage and the crowd was swooning to tum jab paas aati ho (link). Boys had their girls on the shoulders while some other couples/friends had their arms wrapped around each other. A girl standing beside me was crying. We were too awkward for any of this, we did not even hold hands. The next stage was getting ready for Marshmellow. This was the final act and it was going to be spectacular. One of the most awaited performances of the event, it had already attracted the crowd before we reached there. So we made our way through the crowd and found our way in. The performance began, the crowd went crazy. There were flying ribbons, balloons and the song lately I have been thinking I want you to be happier (link). Ironically the song is about a guy telling his girl that he will leave because he wants her to be happier. Funny, I wanted that too because I was not happy. But again, since we were out to enjoy that day, it was okay to let go of a lot of things because after all, this was an experience we were enjoying together.  

We were completely into Marshmellow performing, going crazy with the crowd and taking videos when suddenly towards the end of the performance somebody came and squeezed me from behind. It took me at least 2 seconds to realize that I was inappropriately touched in spite of the fact that I was standing not beside but in front of my partner. The performance had also come to an end at that moment and suddenly it was all so chaotic. I probably knew who it could have been but I was not sure and I did not want to pick up unnecessary fights in such a crowd. I don't know what hurt the most that day - my 'partner' not reacting to what just happened with me or me going prepared in my mind for the event that something like this could happen and It just did. Since we were out to enjoy that day, it was okay to let go of a lot of things because after all, this was an experience we were enjoying together.  

Comments

Popular Posts