From suitcases to cartons.

We all have our own little worlds built around us. And at times we tend to get a little too comfortable within the spaces of these worlds, never wanting to let go. Some of us accept changes to be a necessary part of us while some of us may find it difficult to adapt to these changes. My home in Calcutta was that safe world I was living in. I was living with my parents, saving enough money to spend on dates and did not need to worry about food. Everything came easy. As much as I wanted to leave home, live on my own, I was not too comfortable as I had expected about moving away from home. I had encountered this same feeling when I was leaving Vishakhapatnam and shifting to Delhi. I was 10 years old and I asked my best friend "how am I going to do this?" and all she said was "You will make friends there as well, don't worry". I had the same thoughts while leaving home. I was finally stepping out of home, entering into a new world, a new space. My parents used to threaten me about sending me to a hostel if I did not study but when I actually was in a hostel, things were pretty different. I was again in my own world with a space of my own, just this time I had to save money for different reasons and also I had to worry about eating food. It was chaotic on the outside but as soon as I stepped into my room, it felt warm, comfortable. On the other hand, I had a roommate only for a couple of initial months, after which I was staying alone for the next 2.5 years. 

After college was over, I moved to Goa, where I did not have a space of my own to create my own world but instead the whole experience of having first-hand encounters made up my world. This time I had to save money from what I was earning, learn to cook food and even clean my own washroom. I wasn't earning enough to enjoy my experiences. True, money is not the key to everything but looking at the world economy, money sure can solve lots of problems. Nevertheless, to say, Goa gave me experiences that helped me self sustain.

After Goa, came, Pune. I have been earning well enough to pay my own bills and order or cook food. I am also saving and I have a place of my own. I have moved from suitcases to cartons but as I step back and take a look at my own little world, I am reminding myself - it's okay to let go.

Comments

Popular Posts